[Uml-devel] extending class import to other languages

James E. Flemer jflemer at acm.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 15 07:59:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Andrew Sutton wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 10:17 pm, James E. Flemer wrote:
> > [ Not subscribed, please maintain CC. ]
> >
> > Hey all,  I searched the archives on sf.net, but didn't see
> > any messages about adding other languages to the class
> > import feature.  It seems from the code that it is pretty
> > much hard coded to C++.  Is there any plan to extend this
> > with some interface like the code generator?  Perhaps some
> > of the Parsed* stuff is generic enough that another parser
> > could reuse some of them.  What are the plans (if any) for
> > this part of the program?
>
> there's work being done on a new version. we hope to include some signifcant
> reverse engineering (RE) facilities (multi-lingual imports is one). there
> really doesn't need to be much of a plan for what you're suggesting. an RE
> plugin could parse source and create UML data objects that correspond to the
> parsed code.
>
> on a side note, UML supports language profiles (IDL, Java, C++, etc). these
> basically add information, attributes, what have you to UML data objects. for
> example, in C++, a class can be declared virtual, but UML doesn't support
> that by default. at least i think stuff works this way.
>
> what languages are you thinking about?

[ Not subscribed, please maintain CC. ]
I was mainly thinking about PHP, but also Java perhaps.
The Rev. Eng. framework sounds like it would work.  Is any
of this in the cvs tree yet?  I admit I've only looked at
the code from the latest release so far, but I'll checkout
the code from cvs soon.  How much "dirty work" will the RE
base handle, and what will be left to implement for each
new language?  It would be pretty slick if all that was
needed was to write a little (f)lex code and a small
wrapper classe (perhaps just extending a provided one).

-James