[Uml-devel] good news - maybe

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Fri Jan 10 13:34:04 UTC 2003

hey list,

i've got some good news. i've managed to convince my cs department that they
should give me an indepndent study working on umbrello :) however, because
its department work, i have to focus some of the attentions of my work on
subjects of their choosing. all my work is also going to focus on the next
version because i don't think i can fit everything into the current version.
i'll get into that in a minute.

since classes start monday, my guess is that i'm going to have to start
producing relatively soon. sebastian and i have been doing some of the design
work offlist and getting the general architecture down and some of the
stickier issues of serialization, persistence and reflection. ugh. there's
also been some discussion of the gui requirements and design.

what i'd like to know (i guess) is how we can proceed. it seems to me that
finishing the 1.1 release is a priority. to this end i would suggest that we
identify any major showstoppers and focus attention on those - just to get it
out the door. once done, 1.1 should move into a maintenance/bugfix branch and
most of the development should focus on 2.0.

that means we'll need a 2.0 branch pretty soon. i've been working on the 2.0
design and have parts of it completed (not nearly everything) to contribute.
unfortunately, the new design doesn't look anything like the old design. its
highly modularized and is (or will be) based on a plugin architecture. almost
everything outside of the core library and the gui itself will be a plugin of
some sort (probably not kparts) - each contributing functionality to the
application. also, some of the material (as we know from previous discussion)
is really complex and abstract and takes some time to wrap your head around.
i think i've got a pretty good handle on that stuff so i'll be able to answer
some of the questions.

now, because i'm getting credit for this, i have to think about my departments
interests. there's quite a few. here's a brief list of things that are going
to be taken into account during design and might start getting some code
attention.
	- uml extensions for aspect-oriented programming
	- automated layout and aesthetics engines for diagrams
	- a framework for a design metrics suite
	- a framework for statistical analysis of design
	- codegen and import for srcML (XML source code)
	- exports for 3d visualization tools
	- automated identification of boundary, control and entity classes/objects
within a design
	- automated identification of concerns within a design

i think there may have been some other suggestions, but that's what i remember
being mentioned. however, i don't want these to interfere with the creation
of the actual application. as far as i'm concerned, i just have to allocate
space in the design for these things. i believe that most of them can be
built as plugins to the design that sebastian and i have been discussing. who
knows, maybe i'll even get some of the grad students to contribute as part of
there theses or their own independant studies.

anyway, there's a lot of things that we can do to make this the best CASE tool
around - and that's what i'd like to aim for.

so, given this, how do i/we proceed? who is interested in working on 2.0? are
there any problems with what i'm proposing that i'm not aware of?

andy