[Uml-devel] usability problems

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Fri Jan 10 10:08:02 UTC 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 10:07 am, Stefan Klett wrote:
> Greets to the umbrello developers,

greetings to the umbrello commentor :)

> A few day ago looked around in order to find a tool which allows me to
> plan my current projects using the UML. My working platform is Linux
> (SuSE 8.0) and so I found umbrello, installed it, and found that it is the
> modeler which is on the right track to become the most powerful UML tool
> on this target-platform.  I essentially liked the way things were
> _intended_ to work which shows in the case that every thing goes fine
> -however in RL things are not this way, and so I like to make some
> comments which are intended to help to make umbrello more usable than it is
> now (I used the  umbrello-1.1rc1.tar.bz2 tarball) .

on behalf of the list, thanks for the praise and feedback. there's some
preliminary design work being done on version 2.0 although mostly off list.
we hope to make umbrello 2.0 fully standards compliant which will address
some of the usability issues.

as of right now, 1.1 is basically in a feature freeze. i don't know how much
of the suggestions you've made will be fixed by the time 1.x reaches its
sunset. however, the learning curve on the current source isn't overly high.
if you have the time or the ambition, you might be able to correct one or two
of your suggestions. besides, another developer never hurts ;)

oh. you can enter these in the official umbrello bug tracker or feature
tracker at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/uml. it would great if these
ideas were written down so we don't make the same mistakes twice.

andrew sutton
ansutton at kent.edu