[Uml-devel] diagraming stuff

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Feb 26 16:35:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Luis De la Parra Blum wrote:
> This week I've been playing around with the diagraming code - I basically
> started replacing the complete diagramming stuff from Umbrello (1.x) with a
> (IMHO) much cleaner design:

Gosh.  Well done.

> *the UMLView has become a DiagramView, which has lost most of its inteligence.
> (there can be several views on a diagram, they can be "in" umbrello or
> floating around, and they can all share a toolbar or have their own.

What are the other floating around views?

> *there is now a Diagram, which replaces the UMLCanvasView.

What's the difference between these two?

> *All the WidgetData classes are gone

No bad thing :)

> *the Widgets do nothing other than draw UMLObjects from the model

That seems difficult since there are properties that widgets have which
the UMLObjects don't.  Font and colours for example, also interfaces can
be drawn as classifiers or as circles.

> so, I guess the question is if you want to start from "scratch" for U2, or if
> you want to replace/clean one "module" at a time from Umbrello1 to make the
> transition to U2?

With Umbrello 1 you'd have to keep it in sync with the other work on
Umbrello 1.  Also you'd have to find a volunteer (like yourself) to
actually do it.

Do you have a tarball of your code for us to look at?

Jonathan