[Uml-devel] font size problem (fwd)

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Feb 4 15:20:09 UTC 2003

Attachments were too large for list.

They can be found at
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~jri/umbrello/{dse.xmi,umbrellorc}

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:06:23 +1100
From: Christopher JS Vance <vance at nu.org>
To: UML Modeller Devel <umbrello-devel at kde.org>
Subject: Re: [Uml-devel] font size problem

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:51:13PM +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
: On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Christopher JS Vance wrote:
: > When I copy an existing class from the index pane on the left to a
: > class diagram, the new class sometimes ends up with an illegible font.
: >
: > The .xmi file for the UML:ConceptWidget uses
: > font="Helvetica,4,-1,5,50,..." instead of "Helvetica,-1,12,0,50,..."
: > as it did for earlier ConceptWidgets. Once this has started, I know of
: > no way to recover except by editting the .xmi file outside umbrello.
:
: I've added this to bugs.kde.org

Ta muchly.

This behaviour did not start immediately - only when I had about a
half dozen class diagrams, with about a dozen classes.  Before then,
classes copied the same way came over full size.

: I am unable to repeat this.  Would it be possible to send us the saved
: file from before the problem occurs?

I don't have a file saved from before the trouble started, sorry.  The
best I can give you is an .xmi file where this now occurs.  The
attached file was made by starting Umbrello, creating a new class
diagram 'Bad Font Size', copying a class into it, and saving.  I have
not sanitized the resulting file.  (Also attached is my .rc file.)

I do remember fiddling with grid lines and snap to grid, sometime
around when the trouble started, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be
relevant to anything about fonts.

Changing the class font (after the copy) to something other than
Helvetica gives a more reasonable size, but changing it back to
Helvetica causes it to shrink again.

My environment is a very recent FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE, and I compiled
Umbrello 1.1 from the FreeBSD 'port' on 3 Feb, after compiling KDE 3.1
on 1 Feb and XFree86 4.2.1 on 6 & 27 Jan, all from 'port's.  FreeBSD
4-S's gcc is 2.95.4.

My preferred X environment is not KDE (or GNOME) and I normally use
flwm as my window manager.  (I can live with occasionally using KDE to
get the file menu to work right, since I only tried one project and
told it to reopen, but would prefer it were not necessary to start all
of KDE just to get a component working right.)

I'm happy to (try to) answer other questions as needed.

(I also note that changing the ConceptWidget font to "Helvetica", with
no numbers at all, seems to produce a better result.)

Feature request 1: when I copy two associated classes onto another
class diagram, it would be nice if the association would also copy
over automatically.  Or maybe a checkbox to say whether this is
default behaviour.

Feature request 2: add Python to the list of languages.

--
Christopher Vance