[Uml-devel] feature wish

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Dec 5 15:49:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:43:08PM -0500, Brian Thomas wrote:
> On Thursday 04 December 2003 01:12 pm, Jonathan R wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:00:15PM +0100, Alexander Fieroch wrote:

> > > Adding properies/roles for an association should not only show "Role A
> > > Properties" and "Role B Properties" but also the names of the classes
> > > because I do not know what class was A or B.
> >
> > I added that to the bugs database.
>
> 	Im not sure that having the parent class name on the properties page really
> 	clears up the issue. The role has meaning for the *other * class on the other
> 	side of the association, but not for the *parent* class, to which the role belongs.
>
> 	Nevertheless, to try this out,  I made a small hack to dialogs/assocrolepage.cpp
> 	which I have attached. For those interested in the issue, please apply it and give me
> 	feedback on whether this is what is desired or not.
>
> 	Personally, I dont think this sort of thing is needed. You should be able to
> 	get along with just viewing the UML diagram. IF not, then the problem is in the
> 	auto-positioning of the role names, which I grant, if the classes are too close,
> 	can be confusing as to which role applies to which class. The solution there
> 	is to move the classes farther appart, and reposition your role names so that
> 	clarity is restored in the diagram.

I think something is needed because if you have a plain association
there's no way to know which class "role A" is referring to (unless
you can remember which one you clicked on first).

Unfortunatly this patch causes a crash with a fairly unhelpful
backtrace.

[New Thread 16384 (LWP 13845)]
0x41028bb8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#0  0x41028bb8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x408c5eac in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#2  0x408080a1 in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler(int) ()
   from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4

Jonathan