[Uml-devel] Realizations not working in Class Diagram

Jonathan E Nocjar jnocjar at lexmark.com
Thu Aug 28 09:02:05 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm using Umbrello 1.1.1 for Redhat 8.0.  It seems to work great except
when I try to create a realization association between two classes.  I
want to model that class A realizes an interface that class B
implements.  Class A contains nothing but methods.  Class B contains
nothing but data elements.  My goal is to show that Class C interacts
with Class A only through the well-defined interface realized by Class
B.  This seems to be a mainstream usage of the realization association.
However each time I attempt to accomplish this by creating the
realization between the two classes Umbrello reports that I'm attempting
to use the realization association incorrectly.  Realization
associations are listed as being supported by Umbrello.  Is this a bug?
Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, It would be great if you could add the 4th compartment to the
Class Icon to list Responsibilities as described by Booch, Rumbaugh and
Jacobsen in the UML User Guide.

Regards,
Jonathan