[Uml-devel] XMI standard for Umbrello?

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 5 12:35:03 UTC 2003

	Hurm. I know I've asked this before, but perhaps opinion is clearer and
	more vioces this time around (?!). Currently Umbrello appears to be
	using a 1.1.5 version of XMI spec, but the OMG group is up to 1.2 and
	2.0 as the production and stable development standards (they are
	currenly hashing out 2.1 version).

	Any opinions on what Umbrello should use? Of course, changes away
	from 1.1 will break any old save files, but are going to be needed if we
	ever want to have Umbrello XMI files be consistent with (and readable
	by) other UML tools.

	Having spent minimal amount of time on this, I personally have no
	particular opinion on this, other than we should at least consider a
	move to the 1.2 spec. What about breaking the current 1.2 format,
	acceptable or not? If not, when  does the umbrello app move to a
	more current version of XMI, 1.3, 2.0? (In the past, the decision was
	to wait for 2.0, but now that version doesnt even appear to be being
	developed anymore. How long must I wait to update the XMI version?? ;)

	Anybody out there more familiar with the XMI spec versions, and the
	pros/cons of each? I would like to start considering how to put the
	new code generation parameters into the XMI files.

	Finally, Im having a *hard* time getting hold of the actual XML
	schema/DTD's for the various XMI versions as the OMG site doesnt
	appear to want to give me anything other than PDF documents
	describing the spec (bah!). Any kind sole out there who as any version
	of the XMI schema they could email me? (THanks!!)

						-b.t.