[Uml-devel] u2 gets functionality

Andrew Sutton asutton at mcs.kent.edu
Fri Apr 25 16:01:06 UTC 2003

hehe. well, not really.

i've basically finished the refactoring to kparts/plugins and brought all the
old functionality back on line. the plugin load protocol is now the plugin
init protocol (it works the same way). metamodels are still parsed, creating
an enormous object model in the background (fun stuff), blah blah blah.

i've also added some candy to the menu - basically, the uml plugin now creates
a "UML" menu in the menu bar. two options underneath allow the management of
profiles (containers of stereotypes) and stereotypes in the active model. i'm
not sure how these are being managed yet. the data in the profile is added at
the code level. this won't be the case for too long i hope.

at some point, i'm thinking that at some point the profile editor is going to
get the capability to create stereotypes and export them as model files. this
is the mechanism i'm planning on using to create the stereotypes for UML
itself. these xmi files can be loaded by the uml plugin or whatever... it
should work nicely.

the stereotype editor corresponds to all the stereotypes available in the
current model. that means that the menu needs to be tied into the model
somehow. it shouldn't be too hard. the UML::Stereotype_Class class supports
an refAllOfClass() method that returns all instances of stereotypes so we
could populate with that. hmm... good data management question here: how we
distinguish between loaded stereotypes and those created specifically for the
model? for later consideration...

any way, there's a screenshot of the profile dialog on my web site. the
checkboxes indicate whether or not the user wants to import that information
into his/her model.

http://trident.cs.kent.edu/~asutton/umbrello2

feedback?

andy