[Uml-devel] codegenerators

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 20 18:20:04 UTC 2003

Brian Thomas wrote:

>	I tend to agree with Sebastian on this. I've been investigating how
>	some professional" UML diagramming tools deal with round trip
>	issue. I can see two different approaches to roundtripping used,

That is where we diverge: I was not talking round-tripping at all, just
use Umbrello upstream, and not let it trash all the edits I have done in
my code once generated. Luis has proposed something with diff3, which I
think is the solution to this problem. This gives limited usability, but
I think this is quite easy to implement, and is much more useful that
the current code generation we have. Currently, once you have generated
the code, and used it (meaning probably adapted it somehow), there is no
way to go change something in Umbrello and have it be reflected in the
code without doing this by hand, or letting umbrello stamp on your
hand-edited parts. And that may prevent people from using it...

I think too that round-tripping is a hard problem, but the source of
this is that the code analysis part has to deal with getting from
low-level information (the source) to higher-level features. A state
diagram or sequence diagram can be tricky to figure out automatically...
--Pascal