[Uml-devel] Re: karbon14 and uml

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Wed Apr 16 06:51:12 UTC 2003

> Since layouting of graphs is a well known science there is probably some
> code which does this and maybe can do it for umbrello.

well known, sure. but most of graph drawing is dealing with edges and nodes.
those algorithms don't have to take into account the rich set of semantics
that we deal with in uml. we also have more complex nodes. plus, we have tons
of aesthetics for dealing with these semantics.

> Nice layouts of graphs are done by graphviz/dot.

to a degree, yes. unfortunately, they graphviz doesn't have an orthogonal
layout - which seems to be the user preference for uml diagrams.

> Probably the layout algorithms of photomesa are not what we need at the
> first place ... :-)

not for diagrams, but it is a good layout for hierarchical data :)

> Here are some useful entries which I found using google:

interesting stuff. if anybody finds stuff specifically on the layout of uml
diagrams, that would be even better (except i'm almost certain that i know of
all the papers on uml layout).

andy