[Uml-devel] Re: karbon14 and uml

Dirk Schönberger dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Tue Apr 15 06:58:05 UTC 2003

Sebastian Stein schreibt:

> Dirk Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de> [030415 15:01]:
>
> But these are not the common tasks in a diagram tool. I think mostly you do:
>
> - add an object
> - modify an object
> - create view on objects (diagrams)

Agreed, please see below.

> > > Look at the current CVS version of Umbrello. There you can see 4 different
> > > views. Maybe there are more, maybe not:
> > >
> > > - Component View
> > > - Deployment View
> > > - Logical View
> > > - Use Case View
> > >

> > But these are not really views, i.e. multiple visual representations of the
> > same data.
>
> ? If you look at the same thing from different sides you have different view
> points and so different views. Maybe it's just the word view you don't like,
> but I'm very sure I'm correct in this point.

But I don't think you look at the _same_ thing from different sides. I
think you build several represenations/documents/whatever from a subset of
the complete model. Some parts of the model can be shared, while other are
view/document specific. I think in UML the distinct parts are more
important, unlike e.g. in Konqueror, where you see the same file entries,
but one time as icons, one time as list, one time as tree and so on.

> > I think you should rather see it as different documents showing
> > different contents. It would be not feasible to e.g. drop a class icon from
> > component view to usecase view.
>
> That is true. But it would be possible to browse from an usecase view to a
> sequence view or from a class diagram to a sequence diagram. These links
> must be provide.

These are relations, which should be visualized as some kind of (hyper-)
link. I agree.

> But to get things clearer. What are we talking about? Do you want Umbrello
> to be handled like a file manager (like Konqueror) or do you just want the
> file system approach for internal modell representation? Or both? Point 1 I
> don't like, I think a file manager isn't the best thing to navigate. About
> point 2 I don't care.

a) I didn't had the idea, Andrew Sutton started the discussion.
b) Neither, nor. What I would like to see is that "document management" is
handled via a file system model. I.e. the different diagrams in their
respective in a XMI document (I believe they are stored there?) can be
accessed in a file system view like Konqueror. I.e. I can enter a URL like
the following in Konqueror URL bar

xmi:///home/dirk/project.xmi/org/nowhere/project/usecases.diagram

This URL is handled by Umbrello, and a HTML file or SVG document is
generated, which can be browsed in Konqueror.
If I want to store a diagram from inside umbrello, I can give a similar URL
to store the diagram inside a XMI document.

Regards
Dirk