[Uml-devel] Re: karbon14 and uml

Dirk Schönberger dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Sun Apr 13 11:51:03 UTC 2003

> what i've been thinking is that u2 should support these techniques for
> document management - in short, embedding konquerer's file browser as a
view
> and virtual file system on top of the model. of course, i'd love to take
> advantage of the tabbed windows too... by doing this we should be able to
get
> some really good, and really familiar diagram management capabilities
> (right?). any thoughts on viability or possibility?

I am not really familiar with both UM nor Konqueror irtual file systems, so
I could be wrong.
I think it would be possible to implement a kioslave for XMI files
(kio_xml), which works as virtual file system, including for browsing XML
files in things like a file save box and Konqueror itself.

I don't think it wuld be sufficient to be implemented as only means to
access UML / XMI diagrams. Konqueror is defined as a browser, i.e. plugins
are supposed to "display" data. It is assumed that you still provide an
"editor" of your data.
The problem with XMI and UML as I understand it is that you need another
display part, something like "view hierarchy", i.e. show the lists and trees
of related elements.

>From what I have seen until now in KDE, these views are implemented as
special case applications (things like KControl in a extrem case or the
different mail tools incl. Kontact come to mind.

Perhaps it would be best to implement a generic list view part for XMI files
using the KIO framework, ie. I am able to browse UML / XMI documents using
both Umbrello and Konqueror?

Btw. I understand that diagrams are "documents" in a document management
system, but what about things like "classes"? (Again, I am not very firm in
UML, so please excuse my ignorance ;)

Regards
Dirk