[Uml-devel] kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello/codegenerators

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Thu Apr 3 00:07:30 UTC 2003

Brian Thomas <thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov> [030403 09:19]:
> > I don't think the user should be able to edit anything within Umbrello,
> > there are already plenty of text editors and IDEs to be able to do that.
> > Just being able to select the configuration options that the code
> > generator provides would make sence.  And if you could get it so it
> > doesn't overwrite code that's already there, that would be quite
> > impressive.
>
> 	I agree about not trying to create an IDE within Umbrello, Ultimately,
> 	some way should be found to sync up Umbrello files with KDevelop
> 	(err. I suppose that might just be the code that is generated, but it would
> 	be nice if Kdevelop could read in an XMI file + Umbrello code generation
> 	template, or even more optimistically, the ability to drag'n drop an
> 	Umbrello project right into Kdevelop).

I think there are different approaches. The perfect thing would be:

- generate code in Umbrello
- edit the code with an editor/IDE
- Umbrello notices the code changes and updates the entire modell (maybe add
  a new class or rename something)

I'm not if we could do this, I think it might be impossible.

But there are other solutions as well. Like that one:

- generate code in Umbrello
- edit the code with an editor/IDE
- reload code in Umbrello and diff it to the generated one

So Umbrello would generate internal the code again and diff it against the
given (maybe edited one) one. There would be a lot of code parts not done in
Umbrello and than Umbrello could try to handle this code.

Another solution:

- generate code in Umbrello
- start an editor through Umbrello

Umbrello would create a temporary file and pass it to the editor. The file
would only consists of the current edited method. All code would be saved in
the internal modell.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/