[Uml-devel] u2 and karbon14

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Wed Apr 2 07:06:05 UTC 2003

see luis, here's another project with the version in the title ;) alright...
it's not the version, but its still got a number.

anyway, here's a thought. k14 looks really, really really good... here's a ton
of pictures.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rwlbuis/karbon/pics/

so, it looks like k14 might satisfy all the requirements for a drawing
surface.
	1. it looks good - antialiased vector gfx
	2. it supports selection and manipulation of objects in the frame
	3. svg support
	4. layers? does that matter for us?
anyway, i think its just about what we need.

so, given that we have 2 possibilities. take or use. do we take their core
library, subtract plugins, what have you and make that our rendering core? or
do we try to find a way to integrate our stuff with k14 so we just have a
linker dependency. the latter would probably be preferable - we might even be
able to achieve some degree of koffice interoperability that way :) but
probably a little harder because we'd have to figure out exactly how to work
it.

i'll pop off an email to rob buis and ask about possibilities and copy the
list on it.

by the way, has anybody ever played with k14 before?

andy