[Uml-devel] u2 user interface

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Tue Apr 1 07:16:18 UTC 2003

cool. thanks for the investigation. i was hoping somebody else would
investigate the technical details.

> KSVG is a project to render SVG as a konq. part, so it's the first option
> you'd look at, but for what I've seen it is not yet so stable, and it seems
> to have some major design flaws, so it will likely suffer a
> redesign/rewrite in the near future.
> Other point is that KSVG is only the rendering part, so you'd have to
> implement all the user intereaction yourself.

hmm... so in otherwords, we'd have to provide the rendering surface for ksvg -
which would be some diagram editor view. right? that doesn't sound overly
complicated. okay, well it doesn't really sound easy either :)

> There is another project called K2B, that bases on KSVG and aims to be a
> SVG editor. If you really want to go for SVG, then I'd say this is the
> place to start. I tested it a couple of weeks ago (just for a half an hour
> or so). you can create basic shapes and moving around, but it still lacks a
> lot in the user-interaction (is a very young project and I think there is
> only one guy behind it).  so altough it would be much easier than starting
> from scratch, it would not be like "we just plug it in, and it works"
> either.

where can i find the k2b project site? i can't seem to find it anywhere. more
importantly, can we find other svg editors that we can borrow from.

> so, to sum up... if you want to use SVG, you better be ready to get
> involved in KSVG and K2B and start coding for them to... if you wait for
> them to have something stable and working so that you can just integrate it
> in umbrello, you can be waiting a long time.

i was totally prepared to do so... in my mind, i want the best possible
graphical notation and whatever canvas 1.x is using isn't cutting it (for
me). it's not bad, but it doesn't look great.

> p.s.  I find the whole hyperlinking idea very interesting. just remember
> that you dont *need* SVG to implement it...although it'd be more natural to
> have hyperlinks in a XML document, they are really nothing more than
> actions to be executed when a certain event occurs (mouse click) and can be
> implemented in a normal canvas / widget rendering as well.

right. i'm kind of formulating this weird solution for how this stuff is
managed. it basically involves a psuedo-metamodel that plugs in at the
reflective layer. we can also use that for managing diagrams and stuff.

andy