[Uml-devel] naming issues

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 17 17:47:07 UTC 2002

Yves de Champlain wrote:

> I think Umbrello is really a nice name.  The problem is, admist the
> thousands of software, is it better to have a nice name or a more
> descriptive one ?  It is true also that uml-modeller is not much
> better than unified-uml or uml-languager.  That depends on how do
> poeple find out about software.  They seem sometimes easier to code
> than to find !!!  OK, don't take all this too seriously but a little
> class is never too much.  What about Umbrello-uml or Uml-Umbrello ?

If we look at other projects, which seem successful, I think that a nice
name, even if not too descriptive, is better (look at Jakarta project
names: oro, cactus, james, ant, etc.). However, we have to make sure
that people can find very easily the information about what it is, which
means getting the domain in the .org namespace (to find it quickly), and
have a 1-2 sentence description of what this software does on the
greeting page (to get an immediate feedback from the search). Having the
domain seems to make it appear higher on the list on Google too, I
think. For the greeting page info, the uml.sf.net is already there and
contains that info:-)

And... I like Umbrello too :-) [Does it mean anything in any language?]

--Pascal