[Uml-devel] Review / Redesign of Umbrello

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Oct 23 17:05:15 UTC 2002

> Correct. The separation of UMLWidget and a UMLWidgetData was IMHO made by
> someone trying to "be smart", it's completely unnecessary and gets the whole
> idea of model-view separation all wrong.

As I recall it was because loading a QWidget for each of your widgets
slowed things down a lot in a large diagram.  However we now use
QCanvasItems so I'm not sure if that's so valid, plus I don't think
UMLWidgetData's ever exist without UMLWidget's so I don't know if it
worked in the first place.

> The UML metamodel is already there in the standard so of course we should build
> a new domain model based on this (as they've already made most of the work by
> defining the metamodel!). And since Umbrello is a KDE program I think it should
> be a Qt implementation, where everything in the model is dynamically available
> from a single "UMLModel *" through the Qt metaobject system. It's completely
> doable.

Can you explain what you mean by `domain model' (also Qt metaobject
system)?

UMLDoc already contains most of the Model.

> Any model is a good start for discussions, and the most important discussion
> right now is IMO the one I mentioned above. To the project admins: Wouldn't it
> be a good idea to start a new list for all discussions about the next major
> release?

Discussions of this sort go well on this uml-devel list.