[Uml-devel] inlines

tomas.walch at se.transport.bombardier.com tomas.walch at se.transport.bombardier.com
Mon Oct 21 23:48:02 UTC 2002

>Is it just me or is inline code really really evil?  Changing something in
>a header file is painful enough in terms of having to recompile large
>chunks of the program and inline code just increases the frequency of
>changes to the header files.  Makes me quite worked up so it does.
>One day I'll probably get so annoyed that I'll remove them all from
>Umbrello, probably the same day I remove all methods that start with an
>upper case letter.  So there.

The reason inlines are there is because the C programmers in the old days (like
ten years ago...) were using macros to elimit the overhead of making function
calls for small operations, and since Bjarne thought macros were bad, inlines
were born as kind of a compromise. If C++ was to take off it was necessary to
get enough C programmers to switch language. But today that small overhead isn´t
a problem and as you correctly point out inlines just create high dependencies
beween the files.

/Tomas Walch