[Uml-devel] serialization, properties and feature priorities

tomas.walch at se.transport.bombardier.com tomas.walch at se.transport.bombardier.com
Fri Oct 18 05:56:04 UTC 2002

>i think we are. if the classes that implement UML are part of the uml
>metamodel, then you're talking about using Q_PROPERTY to implement attributes
>of the metamodel classes. right?

>anyways, there's some multiplicity and ordering constraints on the metamodel
>attributes and relationships that Qt won't help for (minus a really good
>hack). i had to build a little template library that helped me define the
>"metaobjects" for those things.

Well, I'm reading and reading and I don't see what you see, sorry. I really
think Qt properties are an excellent way to implement string, boolean, enum and
alike attributes of the classes in the UML metamodel. Relationships can be set
through the parent-child mechanism (especially good for composites) or by the
string name, interactions and dependencies through the signal and slots system.
Having looked at your libuml code I think you've gone through a lot of trouble
constructing a solution that is more complicated than necessary, with no
additional gains. Qt is also complicated but it's implemented by someone else
already and there are very many advantages in terms of obtaining highly flexible
and very low coupled software.

/Tomas Walch