[Uml-devel] wishlist, 2nd

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Thu Oct 17 05:03:02 UTC 2002

> - - in the attribute declaration dialog there is a list of predefined data
> types. I would like to be able to define additional data types depending on
> the language currently used, e.g. STL data types. Or data types which
> depend on the usage of some external library. Is there already any way to
> achieve this besides modifying the source code? Nice would be to have some
> kind of tree view for the selection of the data type with
> 	+ data types independent of a language
> 	+ data types dependent of a language
> 	+ data types dependent of external class libraries
> There has to be differentiated between system defined setting and user
> defined setting of such data types.

visio 2002 does something like this. every time you create a new uml model, it
gives you C++ types, IDL types and VB types. there's no STL data types
though.

newer versions of rational do something similar too. you can specify a
template like MFC or ATL and it "seeds" the model with the classes involved.

I think this would be an excellent feature - when we're ready for it. if
somebody wants to start a new Qt model, they should start with the class
diagram of Qt. If they want a KDE model, they should start with the class
diagram for KDE (KDELibs? KDEBase? i don't know). If they just want an ANSI
C++ project, they get STL.

great idea, but it probably needs to be on a backburner right now.

andy