[Uml-devel] bug

Jens Krüger je.krueger at web.de
Thu Nov 28 03:11:07 UTC 2002

Am Donnerstag, 28. November 2002 11:50 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> > > Do you have an opinion on multiple outgoing associations in state
> > > diagrams?
> >
> > In state diagrams it is very often used. Assuming you have three states
> > and one of them is your normal state you may go to the other both of
> > course if your model allows this. Now you have more than one outgoing
> > association. Otherwise you may reach a state from more than one other and
> > you have multiple incoming associations.
>
> So how come it's allowed for state diagrams and not for activity diagrams?

As I mentioned in the previous mail, the association has to go through a
fork/join or branch/merge element, to show more clearly what you have to do.
As you remember the branch/merge should give a possibility for a decision
between some options, whereas the join/fork indicates concurrent threads in
your project. I think it is the better way to use these elements than to
allow multiple associations to an activity.

Jens

PS. I found a diagram which uses multiple outgoing and incoming associations
but from my point of view it is very difficult to read and it saves only two
elements. I guess this diagramm comes from the early UML specification (1.0
or 1.1)