[Uml-devel] BUG: File incompatibility problem

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Nov 27 14:54:03 UTC 2002

> just tried to load one of my old files and it seems we got the file
> incopatibility problem again.
>
> good luck this time the problem is not too bad, but still... if some users
> have been working with something like beta1 and then upgrade when we release
> 1.1 they are going to have a not-so-nice surprise.
>
> the problem is in the header of the XML file:
>
> my old files have a header like this:
> <XMI xmi.version="1.1" >
>  <XMI.header>
>   <XMI.metamodel href="/home/luis/Documents/pos.xmi" version="1.0.4"
> name="UML" />
>   <XMI.model href="/home/luis/Documents/pos.xmi" version="1"
> name="/home/luis/Documents/pos.xmi" />
>  </XMI.header>
> and the new files have a header like this
> <XMI xmlns:UML="org.omg/standards/UML" verified="false" timestamp=""
> xmi.version="1.2" >
>  <XMI.header>
>   <XMI.documentation>
>    <XMI.exporter>umbrello uml modeller http://uml.sf.net</XMI.exporter>
>    <XMI.exporterVersion>1.1</XMI.exporterVersion>
>   </XMI.documentation>
>   <XMI.model xmi.name="screen-shots"
> href="/home/luis/Documents/screen-shots.xmi" />
>   <XMI.metamodel xmi.name="UML" href="UML.xml" xmi.version="1.3" />
>  </XMI.header>
>
> ok, so obviously the new header is better....
> I mean: the old header was completly screwd up, and the new header is much
> better, but the problem is that Umbrello  refuses to load the old files and
> you have to go and change the header manually..

Looks like it got caught on my XMI metamodel validating code.  I never
realised that had changed in Umbrello.  I've commented it out for now.
(People trying to load MOF files will just have to not get an error
message.)

> another question I have is: what's the href of the XMI.model used for?
> it is the path to the file, but is it used for something??  If I send the file
> to a friend, it will of course have a different path
> (/home/myfriend/Docs/file.xmi) will he still be able to open it? I suppose
> yes, so why do we have the path there????

No idea, argo doesn't seem to use it at all and neither does together.  We
could just remove it but it's not doing much harm.