[Uml-devel] Before releasing umbrello 1.1...

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Sun Nov 24 21:45:02 UTC 2002

Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> [021124 14:23]:
> > Hhm, but it is another problem. If we created an UML app called Irrational,
> > we could be blamed by Rational. But I checked google and other ressources
> > and there is no PC software called Umbrello. So we have now the oldest
> > rights.
>
> Being oldest doesn't mean anything unless it's a trade mark (the
> situation seems to be different in Germany).

Ok, in Germany, and I think in most EU states it must be the same, a brand
is created by using it. It must be an unique thing, so calling something
Umbrello UML Modeller is ok, but you have to do it allways in this way. So
calling it one time Umbrello and the next time Umbrello UML Modeller
wouldn't create a brand. And it must be something new or inovative.

Why the hell are there trademarks? Well, it is an easy way to register a
brand. If it comes to a problem, you can just point to the trade register to
prove you are right. It is just easier.

Ok, to end the discussion, I would say, that we can't register the name and
so we don't have another option.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://uml.sourceforge.net/
Bug report      : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382951
Feature request : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382954