[Uml-devel] bug

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Sun Nov 24 15:07:02 UTC 2002

On Sunday 24 November 2002 22:23, Sebastian Stein wrote:
t officially a bug-- should be fixed.

> I have never seen such a thing in UML books. Do you really think this is
> necessary? I mean if it is possible to have multiple transition, why is
> there fork/join/branch/merge?

well... the forj/join is a different beast: those are to represent different
threads of execution --> to go to activities which are supposed to happen in
"parallel" (fork) or to synchronize the execution at the end of two
activities (join)

s for branch/merge.. yes.. I suppose you are right:
All you can achieve with multiple transitions can be represented with a branch
(actually, I think this is the clearer way to do it).. I just think that
having the transitions directly from the activities could save some work.

UML says that activities can have more than one outgoing transitions as long
as they are differentiated by conditions (if [condition a] transition 1, if
[condition b] transition 2, else transition 3 )
which is precisily what branches do ... again, it would be only for
convencience... but it's up to you if you want to accept this.

luis.

ps. and by the way.. yes, I have seen many books that use this..
Actually, most of the time they draw the transitions directly from the
activities and just put the condition in brackets [ ] at the side