[Uml-devel] Before releasing umbrello 1.1...

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Thu Nov 21 22:43:02 UTC 2002

P. Fleury <fleury at users.sourceforge.net> [021122 07:22]:
> My thinking was very simple: people will look for umbrello on
> sourceforge, on search engines etc. so that the project should be
> registered somewhere with that name too. However, the umbrello.sf.net
> could simply redirect to the uml.sf.net, so that we do not loose the
> history of the project.

I understand it, but it works great. Use the sf search field, enter Umbrello
and you will get here.

Yes, I like the idea of www.umbrello.org very much!

> No it wouldn't die, but I would be willing to spend the $30 to get that
> name, if the problem is only financial :-)

I think look for a ISP who only provides redirecting. I bought something
like this some days ago for a personal domain.

> On another train of thought, if the projects reaches its critical mass,
> we should maybe also think about protecting the name, so as not to
> finish in the same mess as another now defunct project which was called
> NetSaint. If it makes it into KDE, then it will have a broader
> visibility, and KDE has protected most of its names.

What do you mean with protecting. In Germany (and I could only speak for
German laws, because I'm a little bit familar with it) the name Umbrello
would be protected. So nobody else creating a software product is allowed to
name it Umbrello, because we were the first to name a product like this. But
it would be possible to name another brand for a car or food Umbrello,
because the brands would operate in different fields.
It would be possiblle to add a brand, but this is very expensive and there
is no office where you can protect your brand for all over the world. This
would mean to protect the brand in Europe, USA, China ...

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://uml.sourceforge.net/
Bug report      : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382951
Feature request : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382954