[Uml-devel] Newbie comments

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Sun Nov 17 14:42:02 UTC 2002

> > It installed to /usr/local/kde/bin, which is not where my kde lives.  Is
> > that likely to be a problem?
>
> This is one of those issues with KDE that I'm yet to fully understand.
> Installing in /usr/local might fix it and installing in /usr almost
> certainly would (but you might think that gets in the way of the package
> manager).  Maybe the debian-kde mailing list (or IRC channel) could help.
> If you do work it out please report back with your findings.
> It might have something to do with /etc/kderc.

the documentation installs fine for me and I can access it through the help
menu with no problem (SuSE 8.0, kde is installed on /opt/kde3 and I compiled
with configure --prefix=/opt/kde3 )

I am sure the problem is in the configuration... if you install to a directory
which is not the base dir of KDE and dont tell it about it, you'll get into
problems (this is the typical "my toolbars dont have any icons" problem)
you can either (somehow) tell KDE where your doc is, or install to the right
location, or make a symlink from your KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/ dir to where
you have your documentation.

note that the user manuall is a little out-dated... I'm working on the new
version.

luis.