[Uml-devel] fork/join branch/merge difference

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Sun Nov 17 14:22:02 UTC 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 23:40, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the difference between a fork/join and a branch/merge
> in an activity diagram?  They seem to do just the same thing.

after a fork the two (or more) activities run in paralel.. a join waits for
*all* incommin transitios to be there before goint to the outgoing
transition.
a fork is a "either of" .. it has one or more incomming tranistions, and
should have a "condition" (if a, then branch 1, if b then branch 2) but only
one will be executed.
a merge is an "or", you get to it from one of many different incomming
transitions, and go to the outgoing transition inmediatly. (no wait, because
there are no others comming)

luis