[Uml-devel] Re: Umbrello design (was UML XML tree viewer)

Jean Vittor jean.vittor at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 6 02:12:09 UTC 2002

Andrew Sutton wrote:

>so what you're talking about is the capability of transforming other aspects
>of UML into code too - like statechart diagrams.

Right.

>that might be kind of hard.
>collaboration and sequence diagrams would be "a little" easier.

The point is not to specify a C++ mapping of all UML semantics
(including dynamic ones). It is just to allow user to do that in some
specific context by providing him navigation methods and entry points to
overwrite standard code generation.

>>If you need more realistic information about the need, I can try to
>>build an example.
>>

>that probably wouldn't hurt :)

OK. Here it is.
Imagine (first example) you're building an application that contains an
interface to a database. Some classes will have methods to access
database. Database acccess methods can be easily deduced from the
attributes description (if not, let's suppose it for the example). So,
the user is able to specify (in that project) an automatic generation of
database methods. What he needs to realize that is:

    * a tagged value (say {persistant}, for example, and the name of the
      database management system),
    * an entry point to act on code generation, and
    * a way to get required information (attributes description and
      presence of tagged value).

This first example is just to illustrate needs for customization in code
generation.
Let me give an other one.
Imagine now a simulation application (this example is easy for me
because I did that work a few years ago). I don't know simulation
standards but I guess this application should deal with actors (not UML
actors) that reacts to events and so on. Oh ! I know a UML semantic
which allow to specify that sort of behaviour : statecharts. Same that
in previous example, what is needed to realize that is:

    * a tagged value (say {actor}, for example),
    * an entry point to act on code generation, and
    * a way to get required information (statechart information and
      presence of tagged value).

That's all. Do you feel it is a real need or is it a too strange usage
of CASE-tool ?

Jean

PS : Note that those (customization) functionalities can be found in an
existing CASE-tool : Objecteering (of Softeam). That used to be a good
tool, especially for code for generation (I used it a few years ago).