[Uml-devel] Re: Umbrello design (was UML XML tree viewer)

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 4 20:17:04 UTC 2002

Phew... thanks Andrew for taking the time to go about this MOF, UML, XMI
and all its friends. It was also sort of fuzzy to me what that was all
about, and the intro from O'Reilly's UML in a nutshell confused me even
more.

I have, however, a few practical questions:
- what does libXMI do that a SAX parser does not do ? If I understand
well, the real "interpretation" of the content of a XMI file is done in
the libMOF/libUML/etc lib, right?
- Our projects are made of objects which are instances of UML object,
which themselves are instances of MOF objects. All of which seem to
have, at the (meta)*model level only getter/setter methods. Why not
another level which has only 1 class, of which MOF objects are
instances. Let's call it libOOTU (Lib Origin Of The Universe), which we
could define for the purpose of our project. Sorry, that may be a dumb
academic point of view, but I see now that I have been playing with only
a few snow balls of the UML iceberg...
- for code generation, it would be very good to keep in mind that for a
same model, we may produce files in different languages for different
classes (Think Java/JNI/C++ or Python/C). This information is not
present in the model that clearly (can we mark this kind of info?) and
maybe should be part of a "production stage" where one can work with a
model,  and add this kind of annotations before generating the code. The
extra info would be saved in another file if needed. This would probably
wrap around the UML model as the GUI objects do. How does thaty fit into
the big picture, (if it belongs there) ?

--Pascal