(forw) Re: [Uml-devel] Suggestions

Sebastian Stein seb.stein at hpfsc.de
Mon Nov 4 09:07:06 UTC 2002

----- Forwarded message from Jörg Walter <ehrlich at ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de> -----

From: Jörg Walter <ehrlich at ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de>
Subject: Re: [Uml-devel] Suggestions
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:00:40 +0100
To: Sebastian Stein <s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de>

On Friday 01 November 2002 11:00, you wrote:

> > Bugs:
> >
> > - PNG export is off-by-one, last row of pixels is missing (try saving
> > just a class with no other elements below it)
>
> I can't see this bug. I added only one class to a diagram and exported the
> diagram as picture. In the png there are no pixels missing. So maybe I
> misunderstood the problem...

The problem is more specific, but also much worse. This is how to reproduce
it:
Create a class and create an association to itself. Then move it so it is
entirely below the object instead the default above. If you add some more
stuff, it is possible that the row of pixels is missing. But in this simple
case, just a class and a self-association, the exported area is just the
class! No association...

> Good point, please submit it to the feature tracker (see sig) in category
> interface improvements.

I assume the feature tracker is your preferred way for suggestions? Then I
will use that from now on. You will hear from me via mail if I can't stand a
bug so much that I create a patch :-)

Oh, just one thing: I worked with kivio a bit, and with Qt designer, and there
are two interface ideas I like much. This might be, however, be a matter of
taste and changes current behaviour: Kivio has solved the connection
alignment problem quite well, but requires more manual interaction (no
automatic repositioning of connection starts). On the whole, I consider this
the better solution. The nice idea in Qt designer is the selection mode of
tools. Single click, and the corresponding tool is used just once and then
goes back to the previous tool. Handy for adding that one connection which
was missing. Double-click and the tool is permanently selected, handy for
adding heaps of classes to start a diagram. The advantage over the
shift-keypress is that you don't need to leave the mouse if you are tweaking
your diagram, rearranging connections, changing connection type (that is,
deleting and re-adding) and the like.

If you think this is a sensible suggestion, I will add these two to the
tracker as well.

--
CU
  Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94