[Uml-devel] Fw: UML Modeler CVS snapshot 19/06/02 needs kdelibs-2.2.2-compat on KDE3.0

Mart Verburg mart.verburg at c2i.net
Fri Aug 30 08:32:03 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 16:26, you wrote:
> > > Only to find out the program still needs libkhtml.so.3 from KDE 2.2.
> > > I was under the impression from the project homepage at sourceforge it
> > would
> > > work under KDE 3.0 now.
>
> It should all work with KDE 3.0 and not need KDE 2.2.  I'd be honoured if
> you would check out a newer version from current CVS by anoymous CVS and
> see if the problem persists.

OK, checked out a newer version from CVS yesterday evening, did a make -f
Makefile.cvs, and than ran the configure, make, and make install as usual.
The whole process went smoothly.

But, at the end of the day, I'm sorry to report the message was "uml: error
while loading shared libraries: libkhtml.so.3: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory" when I tried to run the program.  Exactly
like with the CVS snapshot from 16/06/02.

Today, however, after some fiddling around with the configure script and it's
parameters, I tried with --prefix=/usr and that did the trick!

> It could have gone away or it could be a red
> hat-ism.

I guess this might indeed be some kind of RedHat-ism, as I understand other
distro's are in the habit of installing user programs under /usr/local.  If
my solution proves correct, maybe other RedHatters can profit from it.

Some suggestions, while I'm at it.
1. It would be nice for a class to be able to show operation (or attribute)
signatures without a class getting overly wide in case of large parameter
lists.  This might be done by adding wrap-around functionality, probably
using a hanging indent.  You might consider having the user do the work by
making the text in a class diagram editable (as I saw is posible in
Poseidon), or alternatively, by providing a handle by which a user may adjust
the width of a represented class, and having the text wrap around
automatically.

2. How about zooming and panning?  large diagrams would be made better
accessable by it.

3. As the program cannot stand on it's own (yet) for documentation purposes,
in my experience .eps export for diagrams would make it cooperate with e.g.
DocBook nicely.  My choice would be to put "export diagram as..." under th
file menu, besides the right mouse button menu.

Apart from the suggestions above, the program now looks better suitable for my
purposes than it's freely available competitors, as it's faster, more
compact, and more specialized.

My compliments on the development rate, I'm impressed with the progress since
last time I tested the program, a couple of months ago.  Keep up the good
work!

Thanks,

Mart Verburg.