[Linux_news] Re: [Uml-devel] updated admin/ directory

Gustavo Madrigal linux_news at nextphere.com
Mon Apr 29 10:55:04 UTC 2002

I agree in forking the project and changing the name, but first lets try to
contact Paul (last call). I can help with project managing too.

I have not worked with Savannah, and KDE CVS (kdenonbeta) does not sound bad,
I have been using UML in my company for about 6 months and it works good
enough (besides the missing features).

On Monday 29 April 2002 06:08, Peeter Russak wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2002, Jonas Larsson wrote:
> > > I'd be interested to know if it now works with KDE 2 (it probably
> > > won't).
> >
> > I can't build at all. It complains that I don't have autoconf 2.5.
>
> KDE3 needs automake 1.5 and autoconf 2.5 for generating build-files.
> Decision to use newer versions of these was made to be able to compile
> KDE3 stuff better on non-linux platforms. You can have different versions
> of autoconf and automake in your system at the same time if needed but
> I personally have not seen any problems with just upgrading my
> automake/autoconf. There's even still files for older automake/autoconf
> in admin prefixed as old-* so you should be able to generate buildfiles
> with older automake/autoconf if you remove old-.
>
> > Also, we need to get hold of the maintainer for the project
> > so new developers can be added to the project (me ;-). If this fails we
> > should consider hijacking the project and moving it elsewere. Not a
> > very nice thing to do but like this the project is stalling. I've seen
> > some discussions about a move to KDE cvs, any decisions?
>
> As I've understood kdenonbeta is for last distilling before including
> into official packages (or fading away as dead project as taking a look
> at kdenonbeta shows:|). So it should have at least alpha-version quality
> that uml tool IMHO doesn't have yet. Second problem is that having project
> in kdenonbeta requires kde cvs-server accounts for every one of us. What
> I propose is that instead of ugly highjacking we just fork the project and
> start new project in SourceForge or maybe better in Savannah
> [http://savannah.gnu.org/]. Good consequence is that project gets at last a
> real name that sound better that plain UML Tool:) I can take project
> managing stuff on my shoulders right now if needed.
>
> What do you think about it?

P. Eng. Gustavo Madrigal
Technology Research Department Manager
Nextphere Corp.
	Are you ready for the Next Business Sphere?
http://www.nextphere.com
Cel: (506) 397-7640