Source of imported disc data

Bruno Cornec bruno at victoria.frmug.org
Tue Aug 16 17:31:54 BST 2022

Le Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 07:01:00AM -0500, Bill Gee a écrit :
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:01:00 -0500
> From: Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net>
> Subject: Re: Source of imported disc data
> To: tellico-users at kde.org
>
> Every Red Book audio CD has an MCN (Media Catalog Number).  I suspect that the online databases use this as their index and as the primary search criteria.  When you import a CD to Tellico and get a dialog with multiple choices, I suspect that the underlying database has multiple entries under the same MCN.

If you use CDDB to query, then the ID is computed based on the length of
each track and their number. Which can lead to duplicates indeed. The
way it's generally solved is by chaging the category of the CD (rock,
classical, jazz, ...)

MCN would have been a better choice, if only it was accessible when you
query the CD :-(

> On a few CDs I checked, the media catalog number was the same as the UPC barcode on the label insert.
> You can see the MCN on Linux systems with a utility called cd-info.

Ah, I've never tried that before. Will check when I'm back at home to
see how this works on my Audio CDs

Bruno.
--
Des infos sur la musique ancienne  -- http://www.musique-ancienne.org