Source of imported disc data

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Tue Aug 16 13:01:00 BST 2022

Every Red Book audio CD has an MCN (Media Catalog Number).  I suspect that the online databases use this as their index and as the primary search criteria.  When you import a CD to Tellico and get a dialog with multiple choices, I suspect that the underlying database has multiple entries under the same MCN.

On a few CDs I checked, the media catalog number was the same as the UPC barcode on the label insert.

You can see the MCN on Linux systems with a utility called cd-info.

Suggestion - Next time you see multiple responses, get the MCN of the disk and do a lookup on it at the discogs web site.  See how many hits you get.

========
Bill Gee