CSV export issue

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Sep 20 07:11:27 BST 2020

Robby Stephenson skreiv 20.09.2020 02:59:
> I'll check into this to figure out what's going on. For a paragraph
> field with embedded line breaks, I'll have to muse on the best
> behavior - how should Tellico handle that? Remove the line breaks?

I guess it’s not common knowledge, but the CSV format can actually
handle line breaks just fine. From the specification (RFC 4180):

    6.  Fields containing line breaks (CRLF), double quotes, and commas
        should be enclosed in double-quotes.  For example:

        "aaa","b CRLF
        bb","ccc" CRLF
        zzz,yyy,xxx

So in CSV, each physical line does not necessarily correspond to one
row. Any conformant CSV parser will be able to handle this. (And even
some bad ones, like MS Excel, seems to handle it correctly.)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer