CSV export issue

Jared list-tellico at legroom.net
Thu Sep 17 04:48:48 BST 2020

Hello.

I've noticed an odd behavior with the CSV export functionality.  When
exporting games with a multi-line description, the descriptions are
*sometimes* split across multiple lines of the CSV file instead of being
contained in a single field.

Pardon the large amounts of text to follow, but I'm not sure how else to
illustrate.

As an example for Bonk 3, here's the description as shown in tellico:

-----

<i>Bonk's Big Adventure</i> is the third instalment in the
side-scrolling platformer series. As in previous games, the player
assumes the role of a caveman named Bonk who headbutts his way through
various enemies in order to defeat King Drool. Familiar moves include
swinging on trees, bouncing off walls, breaking blocks and climbing
walls with his teeth. Compared to the previous games, he walks and moves
a little faster.

Bonk has the new ability to pick up red and blue candy power-ups that
make him grow or shrink and grab a flower copter. As always, there is
plenty of platforming and enemies to discover. The game consists of
seven rounds, set in the Dinosaur Kingdom, finished off with a boss. At
the end of each stage, 16 smileys can be exchanged to play up to eight
different bonus stages (2 smileys per stage needed). New level elements
include ziplines and sewer pipes. The game also features a cooperative
multiplayer mode.

-----

When exported to CSV, the newlines are converted to <br/> and it's
properly stored in a single field:

-----

Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure|TurboGrafx-16|1993||A.I Co.,
Ltd.|https://www.mobygames.com/game/turbo-grafx/bonk-3-bonks-big-adventure|Turbo
Technologies, Inc.||Action; Arcade; Side View; Platform; 2D
Scrolling|Never Owned|Not
Started||Cartridge||1101168b25a6d1a378654d57babd0e9c.jpeg|<i>Bonk's Big
Adventure</i> is the third instalment in the side-scrolling platformer
series. As in previous games, the player assumes the role of a caveman
named Bonk who headbutts his way through various enemies in order to
defeat King Drool. Familiar moves include swinging on trees, bouncing
off walls, breaking blocks and climbing walls with his teeth. Compared
to the previous games, he walks and moves a little faster.<br/><br/>Bonk
has the new ability to pick up red and blue candy power-ups that make
him grow or shrink and grab a flower copter. As always, there is plenty
of platforming and enemies to discover. The game consists of seven
rounds, set in the Dinosaur Kingdom, finished off with a boss. At the
end of each stage, 16 smileys can be exchanged to play up to eight
different bonus stages (2 smileys per stage needed). New level elements
include ziplines and sewer pipes. The game also features a cooperative
multiplayer mode.|265|2020-01-31|2020-02-01 -----

For Bonk's Adventure, however, we have the following description shown
in Tellico:

-----

<i>Bonk's Adventure</i> is a prehistoric platform game where you are in
control of a large bald headed caveman, guiding him through the levels
taking out all manner of strange prehistoric creatures that get in your
way including King Drools henchmen - all in effort to free the
captured/controlled residents of Moonland (bosses) - including the
Princess Za from King Drool attempted take over.

The game is not unlike other platform games of the era. Though it's
unique in that you can climb walls and swing on rope with your teeth and
your only method of attack is head butting enemies - straight forward or
dive bomb style. The game starts off with simplistic point A to point B
style, but focuses more on exploration in the later stages, which
include finding hidden bonus areas.

<SNIP>

-----

And here's how it's exported presented in the CSV export:

-----

Bonk's Adventure|TurboGrafx-16|1989||Red Company Corporation; Atlus Co.,
Ltd.|http://www.mobygames.com/game/bonks-adventure|Hudson Soft Company,
Ltd.||Action; Arcade; Side View; Platform; 2D Scrolling;
Prehistoric|Never Owned|Not
Started||Cartridge||c84f5000f3b65f35d895c6d08925aa2c.jpeg|"<i>Bonk's
Adventure</i> is a prehistoric platform game where you are in control of
a large bald headed caveman, guiding him through the levels taking out
all manner of strange prehistoric creatures that get in your way
including King Drools henchmen - all in effort to free the
captured/controlled residents of Moonland (bosses) - including the
Princess Za from King Drool attempted take over. The game is not unlike
other platform games of the era. Though it's unique in that you can
climb walls and swing on rope with your teeth and your only method of
attack is head butting enemies - straight forward or dive bomb style.
The game starts off with simplistic point A to point B style, but
focuses more on exploration in the later stages, which include finding
hidden bonus areas.

<snip>

-----

Splitting the contents of a single record across multiple fields like
that breaks importing and working with that CSV data in other applications.

I have 2400 games total. I'm not sure how many include multiple
paragraphs in the description, but it's a significant number. However,
only a relative few are output in this format. I can't figure out what
they have in common.

Any ideas what's causing this?

--

Jared