Tellico Image Data Storage

JAMES IRVING jirv898 at msn.com
Sat Jun 10 20:44:33 UTC 2017

I need help understanding image storage options in Tellico.

FYI three computers involved, two have Ubuntu MATE 16.04 using KDE Environment Platform 4.14.16 but one computer has Tellico 2.3.10+git installed and the other is has Tellico 2.3.11+git installed; third computer runs Linux Mint 17.3 MATE with KDE Platform 4.14.2 and Tellico version 2.3.11.

I want to share & collaborate on Tellico collection files and I am not getting what I expect with respect to images for the entries in the collections.  I currently have three collections (Books, Audio CDs and Videos).  Current number of entries in each collection is: Books = 200, Audio CDs = 300, Videos - 1,008.

I am using NextCloud synchronization & sharing service with the Tellico collection data files stored in a Collaboration folder which syncs the data files to all three computers just file.  Inspecting the collections in Tellico on other computers the images are not present.  So I started investigating.

I must admit I did not pay attention to the Tellico Configuration Settings when starting these collections; but now I think I understand better the Image Storage Options and their ramifications in the General Options.

My basic question is - what option is recommended for sharing collections and I want the images shared too?  What number of entries (with images) is considered large enough to impact performance?  My collections open just fine, no noticeable delay.

My original Video collection has 1008 entries and every entry has an image associated with it.  Tellico was configured when that collection was created to store images on that computer (Tellico 2.3.10+git) in the option for using a directory associated with the application; I found the images for all three collections in the folder: ~/.kde/share/apps/tellico/data/.  There are 1,212 images in that file.

One of the other computers is configured to store images in the data file, and because (I'm assuming here) the shared data file from other computer does not have the images in the data file - no images appear.

While my Videos collection was open in Tellico, I changed the setting on one computer to use the image storage option to store images in a directory relative to the data file.  That caused the creation of a directory named "Videos_files" and upon saving the collection it stored 984 images (not all 1,008).  Then I opened the other two collections with that setting of where to store images and no additional images were saved.  Because Tellico created the directory named "Videos_file" I expected it to create directories for the other two collections or combine the images into a single directory.

The Tellico Handbook document does not explain the Image Storage Options - that might be something to improve when that document is next updated.

I'm confused - Please advise