[Tellico-users] Re: image storage

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Tue Apr 12 13:58:31 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 12 April 2011, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> What is the preferred choice for image storage?
>
> I am storing the thumbnails in a directory relative to the data file.
> This is OK, except for two things.  One is that the three pane view,
> when you click on a category, it is very slow, to the point of freezing
> the machine for several seconds.

Someone filed that as a bug, too. I need to do some profiling and see if I can
speed that up. Are they particularly large images? I don't seem to run into
the problem with my own data files, and my own machine is rather slow at
times.

> The other is that when you move the
> file to a different machine, you have to manually edit the paths in the
> xml otherwise its file not found, because the path is wrong, because it
> is /home/otheruser/.
>
> So should all the images be better stored in common application
> directory? What exactly does this mean?

It means all the images for every Tellico data file are stored in one
directory. It could get rather big. The location is typically
$HOME/.kde/share/apps/tellico/data/ though it might be in $HOME/.kde4/ or
some other top-level KDE directory, depending on your system settings.

> If they should be in a common application directory, is there a quick
> method of changing the settings and moving them over without having to
> do it one by one?

When you change the setting, Tellico will move the images automatically.

As for moving to a new machine, you can do File->Export->Export to Zip and
move that zip file over to the new location, then open it. Whatever your
setting is on the new machine should be honored. so the images get copied
from the zip into the local directory.