[Tellico-users] Tellico 2.3 upcoming

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Wed Jul 28 04:17:27 UTC 2010

On Sunday 25 July 2010, Simon Eugster wrote:
> 2010/7/23 Robby Stephenson <robby at periapsis.org>:
> > On Friday 23 July 2010, Simon Eugster wrote:
> >> Another ISBN search issue.
> >>
> >> http://openlibrary.org/works/OL15232515W/Ant_%E2%80%93_kurz_gut cannot
> >> be found. I don't know why exactly, perhaps it is because the
> >> openlibrary-ISBN is with dashes. The other ones that worked don't use
> >> dashes: http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7581043M/C_Pocket_Reference
> >> It is possible to find the Ant book on the openlibrary webpage via the
> >> search field, no matter whether with or without dashes.
> >
> > Thanks for helping me test the Open Library search.
> >
> > At first glance, leaving the dashes in the search term internally
> > doesn't get me the expected result either. I'll have to poke more
> > closely.
>
> I wonder whether it is their API. They may be removing all dashes from
> the input and compare this to their database which they except to
> contain no dashes when searching through their API.
> They should anyway use your autocomplete for ISBN which is quite cool
> :) The last number is a checksum number, right?

Right, the last is a checksum. And you're probably right, they may have the
dashes in the database which fails to match.

> By the way, when searching for the title «ant kurz gut» it does not
> show up either. It does when searching on their website directly:
> http://openlibrary.org/search?q=ant+kurz+gut

Based on the API doc, http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/restful_api, I'm not
sure how to do a wildcard title query. Searching for "Ant – kurz & gut" does
work. The search is for an exact match, not using OR, as far as I can tell.