[Tellico-users] ID numbers

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 11:51:39 UTC 2010

I kept asking Robby for a different display option, and it was because of not
quite understanding how to set things up so as not to need it.  I just
figured out how to do it in a new custom collection.  Maybe the user guide
could have a section that makes this clearer.

The key is that the first field does not have to be unique.   I thought it
did, so I used an object serial number, which is non-meaniingful but
guaranteed to be unique.  I then picked a category to display the objects
under in the three pane view.  The result is that when in the three pane
view you click on a cascade of a meaningful term, what displays in the
bottom right pane is a list of icons with a meaningless legend under, the
number.

However, you can do it differently.  If you use as the first field something
meaningful, like the name of the object, and then pick as the category
something like the publisher of a book, or the maker of a painting or the
builder of a boat, then when you expand the category, the icon view will
then list the items by name.  For example, you click on Faber and Faber in
the left pane, and you get all the books listed by title.

It is only going to be a factor with custom collections probably.  And I
don't quite know how to redo my 3500 item collection in this way, with lots
of graphical links using thumbnails.  Probably we will not try.  But this
might be helpful for someone else encountering the same problem which you
probably will if you're using Tellico for a museum collection.