Next release

Urs Fleisch urs.fleisch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 14:03:12 BST 2023

Hi TagLib users,

TagLib 1.13 has been released last October, and since then, a few bug fixes
have accumulated on the master branch. Therefore I would suggest that we
release a bug fix version 1.13.1 at the beginning of next month. The
changes which I would write into the NEWS file are:

 * Fixed parsing of TXXX frames without description.
 * Detect MP4 atoms with invalid length or type.
 * Do not miss ID3v2 frames when an extended header is present.
 * Use property "DISCSUBTITLE" for ID3v2 "TSST" frame.
 * Build system improvements: Use absolute path for macOS dylib install
name,
   support --define-prefix when using pkg-config, fixed minimum required
   CppUnit version.
 * Code clean up using clang-tidy.

Since this is only a minor bug fix release, I would suggest that no beta
release is required. But it would still be helpful if you could make some
tests before the release by using the current master branch
(https://github.com/taglib/taglib/archive/refs/heads/master.zip). One
motivation for a release is to start working on TagLib 2.0, i.e. the first
release which will break binary compatibility. To encourage projects to
migrate to TagLib 2.0, I would suggest that we keep it source compatible,
i.e. code which builds against the latest 1.x version without using
deprecated features should also build against a 2.x version. Breaking
binary compatibility should allow us to address a few issues which were not
fixable before, e.g.:

 * Remove deprecated features.
 * Replace the "virtual function hacks" with real virtual functions.
 * Support files larger than 2 GB on Windows by replacing long variables
   related to file offsets and such by 64-bit variables.
 * Use features of modern C++, I would suggest that we use the same minimum
   requirements as Qt 6, i.e. C++17.
 * Enhance the architecture to improve TagLib's extensibility.
 * Reduce risks by carefully continuing on the master branch and not switch
   to the taglib2 branch (see also discussion at the end of
   https://github.com/taglib/taglib/issues/837).

If there are no objections, I will add a commit with updated NEWS and
version numbers. If no problems occur after a month of tests, we could then
release version 1.13.1.

Best regards,
Urs