Writing COMMENTS field on MPEG / ID3v2

Yannis Calotychos ycalot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 11:43:44 BST 2022

Hello,

I am currently observing an issue with COMMENTS field in MPEG / ID3v2.

This code :
	map.erase(“COMMENT");
	map.insert(“COMMENT", TagLib::StringList(“Some Comment"));
OR this code :
	map.replace(“COMMENT", TagLib::StringList(“Some Comment"));

Both codes seem to write a COMM XXX frame on the file, that is not readable by iTunes,
and is shown as Comment [XXX] and Comment[ID3v1 Comment] on MusicBrainz Picard.

When either of these apps write the comment field it is read by the TagLib and both of the apps above as Comment ID3v2.

with my HEX editor I can see that iTunes writes some sort of “eng” qualifier on the comments field. Is this a language related issue ?
Do I need to do something special for this field ?
Is there away to avoid writing ID3v1 tags?

Thanks
Yannis