iTunes GRP1 id3 frame

Scott Wheeler scott at taglib.org
Tue Jun 20 22:47:12 UTC 2017

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 23:11, patrick machielse <patrick at hieper.nl> wrote:
>

>> Op 20 jun. 2017, om 23:02 heeft Scott Wheeler <scott at grunge-nouveau.net> het volgende geschreven:
>>

>>> On Jun 20, 2017, at 22:41, patrick machielse <patrick at hieper.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there plans to support this new frame in a future TagLib release?
>>
>> None that have been discussed, but in general, TagLib doesn't add stuff to its generic interfaces that are based on application specific extensions.
>
> I expected as much. It's a pity they had to go outside the spec. Or perhaps the specs aren't maintained anymore?

The ID3v2 spec hasn't been updated in 17 years (though there have been a couple drafts for additional features, specifically for accessibility and chapter support).  However, ID3v2.4 is extensible -- there's already support for application-specific text (TXXX) and binary blob (GEOB) frames that the iTunes developers simply choose not to use.