Any appetite for a 'normalisation' layer over non-std tags?

michaelhelmling at posteo.de michaelhelmling at posteo.de
Mon Apr 10 07:36:04 UTC 2017

Dear Adam,

sorry, I've made a few typos in the haste. :-) The following should
work:

auto file = FileRef::create("/path/to/file.mp3"); // create() gives you
a full-featured File object
auto props = file.tag().properties();
for (auto &composer : props["COMPOSER"])
   std::cout << "composer: " << composer << std::endl;

The PropertyMap interface does not care about specific tags, be it
"standard" or "exotic"; instead you can access an arbitrary tag by
passing its name as a string. The return value is a list because many
formats support multiple values for the same tag (e.g., multiple
composers).

For the same reason, accessing "TRACKNUMBER" through the generic
propertymap interface gives you the raw textual value as it is in the
file ("03/04"), while the Tag::track() method knows that this should be
a number, so it parses the string "03/04" into the int 3.

Best regards,
Michael