warnings in xcode project

Simon Gaus phisto05 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 09:28:20 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

i’m using Xcode (8.0) to build taglib (1.11) as a framework, and everything works just fine.
You can find the project at https://github.com/Phisto/Taglib <https://github.com/Phisto/Taglib>.

But there is a flood (90 in total) of warnings emitted by Xcode:

1. a lot of "value conversion" issues

2 one "semantic issue"

3. some "dead store“ warnings

4. some „logic error“ warnings

None of them seem to cause any problems, but i don’t feel comfortable building projects with warnings.

1. Most of the "value conversion“ warnings complain about not casting unsigned long to unsigned int.
Is it safe to cast the values to silence these warnings ? Do i need to release this code changes ?
I’m happy to do that, but currently the github project just contains the project files and not the taglib source.

2. The "semantic issue“ - well - i really don’t know what to do about that or if its some how a problem.

„Deleted called on ‚Taglib::FileRef::FileTypeResolver‘ that s abstract but has non virtual destructor.“ list.tcc line 80.

3. I could silence these warnings with  #pragma unused(var).
Same questions as with 1.

4. The „logic error“ warnings complain about dereferencing null pointer and using null pointer arguments in memory comparison functions. I "just" use taglib and i really don’t have any experience with C++ so again i’m not able to check if there is something about these warnings.
Here is a screenshot of one the „logic errors“: http://simonsapps.de/null_pointer_warning.png

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Simon Gaus