libtag.dll size

Krzysztof dibo20 at wp.pl
Sat Jan 19 14:44:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

What is the right size of libtag.dll? I compiled taglib using MinGW and
libtag.dll has 2.1 MB. After strip.exe --strip-all it has 900 kB. Is exists
any other switch to make it smaller (I'm not saying that 900 kB is big)?
Same thing on linux (64 bit): by default libtag.so has 2.3 MB, but after
strip it has 1.7 MB

BTW I have questions about zlib:
1. Is zlib required for make? Because I tried compile with and wihout zlib
and don't see any difference (except that my application need zlib.dll to
run). Does it have some impact for tags reading speed?
2. How to disable zlib without uninstall it? I have tried command (linux):

cmake -DCMTK_WITH_ZLIB=OFF -WITH_ZLIBINC="/tmp" ./

But I get:
-- Found ZLIB: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so (found version "1.2.7")
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

    CMTK_WITH_ZLIB

Regards