TagLib, Objective-C & Ludlam's framework

Ferenc taglib-devel at bezemkast.nl
Thu Aug 9 21:19:17 UTC 2012

Hi Anton,

хвала, or should that be спасибо, Google is not sure on
that. According to what I've learned, you're right, C++ goes into .mm
files and you can mix that with Objective-C as well, too. I've read here
[1] & there [2] I'm supposed to do special tricks to not have to rename
every .m file in the project to .mm. The trick incorporates Class
Extensions [3]. However, as of yet I've not had to do that. Maybe
because of magic in Vinnie's amalgamation, I don't know.

Stumbling
on!

cheers,
Ferenc

Антон Сергунов schreef op 2012-08-09 18:20:
> Hey!
Looks no one replies you there. Only one thing I know. .m files
> for c
.mm for c++. That's all. Sorry. :)
"Ferenc" <taglib-devel at bezemkast.nl> написал:

>> Hi!
>>
>> Update.
Making leaps of progress now. Well I'm beyond Hello world. More like
hello mp3.

>> I've tried looking into frameworks but gave up on that.
I think it's an added layer of difficulty. Which I might add later. I've
looked into merging the TagLib source into my own project, which should
be doable & I've read up on merging C++ code and Obj-C, but every
compiler/linker error I solve throws me into the arms of the next header
error. As someone suggested I've looked into Max and Tag from Stephen
Booth, but I could not find how to use TagLib in XCode there. By the way
the framework from Nick Ludlam I mentioned earlier, is a C project meant
to be used with MacRuby. Still, I think I've gleaned useful tips from
his work for later. (Mind you all this is because I'm a absolute
n00b!)

>> Yesterday I stumbled onto TagLibAmalgam and that's been a
godsend. Thank you, Vinnie Falco. I included this in the project and
this worked right away. I'm now looking at a Obj-C object that
encapsulates TagLib. That is wonderful.

Ferenc schreef op 2012-07-26 21:27:

>>> I should add that I thought
writing an id3-editing app would be best
>>> for learning Obj-C.

It also appeared to me that incorporating Taglib would speed

development up noticeably. Rolling Taglib into an (private) Xcode

framework looks like the best way to do this, preferably with an
Obj-C
>>> wrapper. I tried Nick Ludlam's handy pre rolled Taglib
framework. On
>>> its own this compiles, but including it in a project
seems to get me
>>> into mixing up Obj-C & C++ code, which confuses the
compiler of
>>> course.
>>>
>>> Others pointed me to Stephen Booth's app
"Max", I'm looking into this now.

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> 2012-07-25
22:23:

Objective-C & using Taglib & learning
same time. Never one to shy away from
know if there's example code to copy^W

particularly seem to be unable to find a project in OS X that uses
Taglibs.

> Links:

------

Links: