Detection of valid audio files

David Place David.Place at tomtom.com
Mon Sep 5 09:43:01 UTC 2011

Hi all. I'm picking up this old thread I started a while ago because
I've now done some more changes.
Since then we've discovered some MP3 files were detected as invalid
after my previous patch.
This was because the MP3 files were inside a WAV container and didn't
contain any tags. These additional changes fix that:

  //if no tag was found at all, make sure this is a valid MP3 file by
checking the MP3 header

  if (!d->hasID3v2 && ! d->hasID3v1 && !d->hasAPE) {

      //goto the beginning of the file and read the header

      seek(0);

      MPEG::Header header(readBlock(4));

      bool valid = header.isValid();

      //if still not valid then maybe the MP3 stream is in a WAV
container?...

      if (!valid) {

            RIFF::WAV::File* wav = new RIFF::WAV::File(name(),
readProperties, propertiesStyle);

            valid = wav->isValid();

            //now test to make sure this isn't a WAV file renamed to
MP3...

            if (valid) {

                  //current position will be the beginning of the "data"
chunk

                  long pos = wav->tell();

                  //we need to seek over the chunk id ("data") and the
chunk size (4 bytes)

                  wav->seek(pos + 8);

                  MPEG::Header header(wav->readBlock(4));

                  valid = header.isValid();

            }

            delete wav;

      }

      setValid(valid);

  }

Does anyone know a better way of handling MP3 validity?

Regards,

David