iterators+multithreading on win32

Anton Sergunov setosha at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 04:42:47 CET 2011

Actualy reading form hdd performs muliple steps by thread:
1. Send read request
2. Actual reading
3. Send data back to caller

If you use sync reader (like read(), ReadFile(...) on windows) caller
thread wait for data.
HDD gets request for reading physical blocks. Optimise request queue.
Move heads to right place. Waits while platter turns on correct angle.

So thread just waits.

If you use multiple threads it can improve performance. Hdd driver has
longer queue and it can beter optimise it.

But every thread has speed penalty. So better way is to use async
reader. CreareFileEx on windows
Single thread place all requests to driver queue. And waits while one
finished. Then performs data processing